On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM, David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:45:17 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 22:19:55 +1000 David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com>
>> said:

>> > Which is nice to have as an option, but does not do all the things
>> > tabs can do.  So it's not a replacement for tabs.
>>
>> does what tabs do when u bring it up. in fact its better as u get full
>> previews. i dont plan on making any regular tabs.

> It's the "when you bring it up" part that's the problem.  Tabs don't
> need to be "brought up" to show you the info they display.  You don't
> have to do anything to keep an eye on programs that change the tab text
> to show you progress or something important other than look up (on the
> tabs that's not the one you are using right now).  You don't have to do
> anything to see which tab is which when you carefully name them.  This
> is not better for those uses of tabs.  It hides the info you want to see
> at a glance and makes it a separate step to get to that info.

So what does prevent the wp2 style tabs to display the title as a
subtitle of the thumnail. I don't see any limitation here. It could
even be part of the theme and be removed by people that don't want it.
For getting feedback on activity on other theme we could do :
- when in wp2, blink with some red color the thumnail where a bell as
been triggered. Highlight with some other color the term that did
change since the last time we checked the wp2 state.
- when not in wp2, a bell is triggered in another term, we could get
the thumnail of that term and make it float like a ghost for some time
as an overlay of the current term (making it possible to click on it
and make it the active one). We could also do the same when the title
of another term change.

All of this are idea, but it proves that displaying relevant
information at the right time without the need to permanently display
useless information is possible. The only thing is that we need to
think how to use everything we have, animation, mouse over, gesture,
... to always display the most important information and do it in a
shinny way. We have to create something new here and we can do it.

As a personnal statement, I hate toolbar, tab and menu, as they all
steal usefull space from what I am currently focusing on. The
important part is the content and what is going on with it.

> Most of my terminal tabs are running MC, some on the same directories,
> they will look identical or almost identical in a thumbnail that's
> small enough to show them all.  That's not gonna help me at all.

Why do you think it's impossible to put the title under a thumbnail ?

> Doing something different is good, it's just not "better" if it removes
> useful functionality.  Your idea is good, it just removes useful
> functionality that is provided with tabs.  It's no substitute for tabs,
> it's something completely different.

It only remove them because you didn't think of a way to have them.
Now tell me that, it's really impossible to display the term title
under/over the thumbnail, that it is impossible to highlight properly
the right tab the way you want.

As a side note, I think it's good you gave us your requirement, at
least we can make sure that they are in the final design.
--
Cedric BAIL