On 03/05/13 16:03, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Cedric BAIL <cedric.b...@free.fr> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 8:13 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
>> <barbi...@profusion.mobi> wrote:
>>> It is not about generating code, people just don't get it
>>
>> For people to get it, we need many things to improve the situation in
>> Elev8. We need to polish its introduction in Enlightenment and provide
>> an easy way to distribute gadget/apps. Along with some documentation
>> that would help spread it and show case what it is good for.
>>    In my opinion JS is not a tool good for everything. Any application
>> that require a team to maintain it over time with a more than 1000
>> lines of code is going to suffer with it. Hopefully that still leave a
>> lot of application possible. I am thinking about all the configuration
>> tools here : connman, cups, transmission, ... It should also be good
>> for webservice integration like reddit and friends. And finally it
>> should be good for casual game to. We should be able to code elemines
>> or efbb more easily in Elev8 (We need an easy-game helper maybe :-)).
>>    But JS wont be good for an integrated communication suite, an IDE, a
>> web browser, ... So we need tool to help the development of both side.
>> In the JS/EasyUI world, it is mostly integration with E and
>> distribution of application. In C, it is more an IDE that we need.
>> Both work are orthogonal in my opinion.
>>

> This is complete nonsense. With JS you can modularize as well as in C,
> actually the language constructs makes it easier to modularize.
>
> The performance of a hundred thousand lines of code with JS is not an
> issue, as the sensitive areas are basically done in C (with elev8/efl),
> also the V8 can optimize quite well some loops and access, thus moot point.
> Moreover, from the hundred thousand lines case, you're often executing
> small parts of it at the same time, afterall you can't fit much in one user
> screen.
>
> As for your points "JS won't be good", let's review it with reality:
>     - communication suite: the best communication suite out there is written
> in HTML5 + JS, it is called Gmail + Gtalk
>     - an IDE: adobe and others disagree, http://brackets.io/ is fully JS and
> HTML5. Let's not forget that we both use Emacs, that is written mostly in
> Elisp, that is far from being as optimized as JS nowadays;
>     - web browser: the browser itself is a very thin layer, I can't see why
> a browser chrome couldn't be written in JS.. the heavy work is all in
> WebKit/Blink, you just need to get some signals and update the title,
> progress...
>
> I just don't understand why people don't understand. Also I don't
> understand why I still bother to write this stuff.

I understand!

But the problem is that there are no decent examples for what you are
describing, not for the efl anyway.

I've said it before, had you written econnman in elev8, everyone would
have been able to see the benefits.

Just write a nice, modular, simple example that people can base their
work on. The problem is the lack of "skeleton" code. Or at least, that's
the way I see it.

--
Tom.