On Fri, 03 May 2013 16:33:08 +0100 Tom Hacohen <tom.haco...@samsung.com> said:

> On 03/05/13 16:03, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> > On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Cedric BAIL <cedric.b...@free.fr> wrote:

> >> For people to get it, we need many things to improve the situation in
> >> Elev8. We need to polish its introduction in Enlightenment and provide
> >> an easy way to distribute gadget/apps. Along with some documentation
> >> that would help spread it and show case what it is good for.
> >>    In my opinion JS is not a tool good for everything. Any application
> >> that require a team to maintain it over time with a more than 1000
> >> lines of code is going to suffer with it. Hopefully that still leave a
> >> lot of application possible. I am thinking about all the configuration
> >> tools here : connman, cups, transmission, ... It should also be good
> >> for webservice integration like reddit and friends. And finally it
> >> should be good for casual game to. We should be able to code elemines
> >> or efbb more easily in Elev8 (We need an easy-game helper maybe :-)).
> >>    But JS wont be good for an integrated communication suite, an IDE, a
> >> web browser, ... So we need tool to help the development of both side.
> >> In the JS/EasyUI world, it is mostly integration with E and
> >> distribution of application. In C, it is more an IDE that we need.
> >> Both work are orthogonal in my opinion.
> >>

> > This is complete nonsense. With JS you can modularize as well as in C,
> > actually the language constructs makes it easier to modularize.
> >
> > The performance of a hundred thousand lines of code with JS is not an
> > issue, as the sensitive areas are basically done in C (with elev8/efl),
> > also the V8 can optimize quite well some loops and access, thus moot point.
> > Moreover, from the hundred thousand lines case, you're often executing
> > small parts of it at the same time, afterall you can't fit much in one user
> > screen.
> >
> > As for your points "JS won't be good", let's review it with reality:
> >     - communication suite: the best communication suite out there is written
> > in HTML5 + JS, it is called Gmail + Gtalk
> >     - an IDE: adobe and others disagree, http://brackets.io/ is fully JS and
> > HTML5. Let's not forget that we both use Emacs, that is written mostly in
> > Elisp, that is far from being as optimized as JS nowadays;
> >     - web browser: the browser itself is a very thin layer, I can't see why
> > a browser chrome couldn't be written in JS.. the heavy work is all in
> > WebKit/Blink, you just need to get some signals and update the title,
> > progress...
> >
> > I just don't understand why people don't understand. Also I don't
> > understand why I still bother to write this stuff.
>
> I understand!
>
> But the problem is that there are no decent examples for what you are
> describing, not for the efl anyway.
>
> I've said it before, had you written econnman in elev8, everyone would
> have been able to see the benefits.
>
> Just write a nice, modular, simple example that people can base their
> [...]

i don't think this is the problem... i couldn't implement efbb in elev8 right
now. we need to expand elev8's api (i take back there being no timer - i found
it. it wasnt in the elm module but in core).

one big thing that could help is using elev8 for e's config. that's a start. we
can use it for a bunch of simple/dinky apps. but asking people already invested
in using native code and api's to drop massive amounts of functionality just to
use elev8 is not going to win friends. :)