Carsten wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 05:57:59 -0400 Jose Gonzalez <jose_...@juno.com> said:
>

>> Carsten wrote:

>>> swallow the name is something i adopted from fvwm2 days - it had swallow
>>> stuff... and swallows in edje are the same thing basically - just with
>>> objects.
>>>
>>> didn't you see my link to the swallow docs?
>>>
>>> https://build.enlightenment.org/job/nightly_efl_gcc_x86_64/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/doc/html/group__Edje__Part__Swallow.html#ga97d1419f89bff20ba971e47c78641271
>>>
>>> its there in the efl online docs (thats the latest auto nightly doc build).
>>>

>>     Good lord man, yes that's a nice bit of history but do you now
>> want him to look up fwm2's docs as well!  :)
>>     Also, I can't even access that link you gave... And where is the old
>> pdf that had edje documentation (the edje cookbook or something)?
>>
>>     Anyway, why not give a simple explanation of the thing rather than
>> beat around the bush... Something short but to the heart of the matter,
>> like say:
>>

> because of the comments that "efl has no docs so its impossible to use - this
> is undocumented anywhere". give a man a fish - you feed him for a day. teach a
> man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. i'm pointing to the docs so he
> can
> keep  looking around and refer to them for more questions etc.

    That works both ways. People who ask questions aren't necessarily
idiots and maybe efl devs can benefit from a bit more practice in directly
and concisely answering their questions - that way not only do they address
the particular issue at hand but also maybe find it easier to write clear
documentation as they go along writing code.... and even then, no single
wording will ever be clear to everyone.
    Remember another cliche: If a thing is truly clear then no explanation
is ever needed. And if it's not, then it's worth explaining again.

>>     An edje object is a particular kind of container evas object
>> (also called evas smart objects). In the edc description, an edje
>> object is defined as a 'group'.
>>      As a container object, it has child objects and these are declared
>> in the edc as various kinds of 'parts' within that group. There are parts
>> like 'rectangle' and 'image', for example, which are of known type.
>>     But an edje can also have child evas objs of any sort by declaring
>> 'swallow' parts in its edc. The 'swallow' C-api is what then enables you
>> to programatically add an arbitrary evas object (that you've obtained
>> somehow) as a child of the edje so as to 'fill' whatever declared
>> swallow part.

>>     Now, where's that iMenu? And E shell-skinning? And improved
>> Exchange server? And ...... :)

Do THIS before eating carbs &#40;every time&#41;
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/52749964d20e3195d1a40st02duc