At Sat, 2 Nov 2013 23:36:23 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
<ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 09:57:49 -0400 Robert Heller <hel...@deepsoft.com> said:
>
> > At Sat, 2 Nov 2013 20:58:03 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> > <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> > > but we never even got to that point until now - the docs did tell you
> > > what a
> > > swallow is... that the parent takes control of geometry etc. that api says
> > > that. :)
> >
> > The only thing in the PDF doc were a couple of *examples* and no real
> > explaination of what it all *means*.  The examples alone is not enough (for
> > me).  There wasn't any API docs in the PDF at all.  I did:
> >
> > make doc
> > cd doc
> > make refman.pdf
> > xpdf refman.pdf
> >
> > I *expected* some sort of useful explaination, but it was not there.
> >
> > I thought that my original message was clear that I found the docs I found
> > were not useful.
>
> the docs i pointed to - the html ones that we actually look at once we write
> docs, and put on line did explain. we DONT put pdf docs online. we don't look
> at them or check. i know there are issues with doxygen +latex and thus the pdf
> stuff wont work right.
>
> putting "edje swallow" into google for me brings up a lot of refs.. #3 is the
> page with the api ref that tells you what a swallow is.
>
> my point here is - you do not like/want to use html docs. you must have pdf
> ones printed. alas that doesn't work with doxygen and there is a lot of work

It *DOES* work with doxygen -- I do it all the time with *my* code (see:
http://www.deepsoft.com/modelrailroadsystem/).

> for us to do. :) after all the effort to document things etc. and all this
> discussion on how bad the docs are, this kind of mail doesn't encourage docs
> to be worked on if they are not used. :( it's a lot of work to write them.
> it's
> a sheer wast of time to write docs that are not used when they are plainly
> available, trivially searchable etc. etc. :( yes - i know they can be better,
> but i really ask as kindly as i can - use the docs we have already. if your
> preferred way to read docs is to print them out then... read - you'll find it
> basically impossible. search tools - be they grep or google are going ot get
> you the info you want 100 times faster.

Actually not with dial-up Internet...  (Yes, really, I have dial-up Internet,
not by choice, but because it is all that is available where I live and work.)