Stefan Schmidt schrieb:
> Hello.
>
> On Mon, 2013-12-09 at 20:48, Simon wrote:
>> On 12/09/2013 08:33 PM, Stefan Schmidt wrote:

>>> I was pondering about that. For 1.7.x we had way more tarballs for one
>>> release. Due to the merged efl tree this really got down.
>>>
>>> Would you expect emotion generic player release tarballs for 1.8.1 and
>>> 1.8.2 even when not a single commit hit that repo?
>>>
>>> We can switch back to that model but I'm not a fan of doing "empty"
>>> releases just to stay in sync for the version number.
>>>
>>> It would only heppen from 1.8.3 though. Skipping a minor release for
>>> everything but efl. IT will always be out of sync with e18 in any
>>> case.
>>>
>>> In sumarry I have no hard feeling in any direction. :)
>>>
>>> regards
>>> Stefan Schmidt
>>>
>> I wasn't much of a fan of the empty releases at first either, but
>> realistic the enlightenment foundation libraries are efl, elementary and
>> e*_generic_loaders, its just some components are built separately
>> because its easier and others due to licensing. From a user perspective
>> particularly in regards to filing bugs it makes it easier if they all
>> follow the same versioning, especially if efl and elementary are out of
>> sync.
>
> We did it with 1.7.x and its seems to make packagers life easier as
> well as versions for bug reports, etc. So be it. From 1.8.3 I will do
> collective releases for efl, elm, evas and emotion generic loaders.
> Even if the specific tarballs have no changes.
>
> regards
> Stefan Schmidt

How does it make packagers life easier, if there are empty version
bumps, which also need to be followed by the package manager? From my
experience as a packager, it only means more work for no gain, since the
content is the same.

So as an experience result of the 1.7 series and to avoid wasting time
for everyone, i strongly object against doing empty releases again.

--

Thomas Sachau
Gentoo Linux Developer