On Fri, 2014-01-24 at 21:51 -0200, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 7:57 PM, Thomas Strobel <ts...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2014-01-24 at 19:14 -0200, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> >> this was on purpose.
> >>
> >> The recent authors (cedric, me, tom...) decided they didn't like BSD
> >> as the ancient and the license was hurting us as nobody gave back.
> >> Then when we created Eina to unify data types in ecore and evas, we
> >> proposed to do it in LGPL and people accepted, raster was okay with
> >> that and so we did.
> >>

> > Thanks for the explanation. Just out of curiosity, did it help? I mean,
> > did you get more people to contribute back to the project now?
>
> I doubt all the companies that did contribute lots of resources would
> have done if it was bsd. It's hard to ensure the results of a change
> would have in the future, but companies would just ignore it because
> of license (ie: my company) to others that would likely keep private
> changes because they were allowed to.
>
> given the way big companies work, I doubt samsung would contribute
> everything they did if they didn't have to... it's a hard and painful
> process, they had to do, i guess they would just skip if they were
> allowed.

Thanks! It was very interesting to follow the heated discussion about
this topic. It seems difficult to estimate the consequences of the
different licenses though.

I just wonder what your intentions are for the future. Do you plan to
push everything towards LGPL? The BSD license would be perfectly fine
with doing so (same argument as used for moving certain parts of EFL to
LGPL already). Or are you hesitating because you want to keep a way to
move back to BSD? Looking at it from the outside (non-contributor so
far), it would be clearer to have one license only, or at least have the
less permissive license for the less fundamental parts (that is opposite
to how it is right now). From how the code is structured, the license
does not really matter at the moment as you can easily link and
integrate closed-source parts. But it would be nice to know where you're
heading to.