On 23/08/16 14:17, marcel-hollerb...@t-online.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i am not so happy with the name efl_self.
>
> Reason for that is that "self" is in the context of other languages
> completly different compared to our use in efl_add.
> People got confused by it, and used it wrong (We just had the case on irc).
> And even if they get a error and see pretty quick that this will not
> work, they still think of the usage of self from other languages.
>
> So I would like to propose a name like efl_add_object, efl_add_obj,
> efl_added which really tells this only makes sense with efl_add,
> and does not use a keyword which is used different in other languages.
>
> Objections / Input ?

I don't really care one way or the other, but just going to say what I
said before on IRC so both side of the argument are represented:

Our usage of "self" is not completely different to other languages. We
use it to mean "self" just like every other language, but our scope
where it's allowed is smaller, only in eo_add().

People will get confused once, and then when they see it doesn't work
will hopefully read the docs/ask if not just understand on their own.
Amount of time spent per person: 1 minute in a lifetime (unlikely anyone
will repeat this twice). Literally not worth adding an extra letter to
type/read for.

As I said though, I don't really care either way, though I think
efl_self is much better than efl_add_obj/object.

--
Tom.