On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 10:22 AM, Tom Hacohen <t...@osg.samsung.com> wrote:
> On 23/08/16 14:17, marcel-hollerb...@t-online.de wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> i am not so happy with the name efl_self.
>>
>> Reason for that is that "self" is in the context of other languages
>> completly different compared to our use in efl_add.
>> People got confused by it, and used it wrong (We just had the case on irc).
>> And even if they get a error and see pretty quick that this will not
>> work, they still think of the usage of self from other languages.
>>
>> So I would like to propose a name like efl_add_object, efl_add_obj,
>> efl_added which really tells this only makes sense with efl_add,
>> and does not use a keyword which is used different in other languages.
>>
>> Objections / Input ?

take a shorter one, would "efl_o" be an option? At least for the
macro, it adds a lot to already long `efl_add()` lines due C lack of
namespace that forces us to repeat them...

> I don't really care one way or the other, but just going to say what I
> said before on IRC so both side of the argument are represented:
>
> Our usage of "self" is not completely different to other languages. We
> use it to mean "self" just like every other language, but our scope
> where it's allowed is smaller, only in eo_add().

I guess he meant because other languages use "self" or "this" only
inside methods... so it would match what we call "Eo *obj" in our
generated eolian files... while there it's meant to be used from
outside, from the user that is creating the object.

> People will get confused once, and then when they see it doesn't work
> will hopefully read the docs/ask if not just understand on their own.
> Amount of time spent per person: 1 minute in a lifetime (unlikely anyone
> will repeat this twice). Literally not worth adding an extra letter to
> type/read for.

this is true :-)

> As I said though, I don't really care either way, though I think
> efl_self is much better than efl_add_obj/object.

indeed, they are too long.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri