On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 14:22:42 +0100 Tom Hacohen <t...@osg.samsung.com> said:

> On 23/08/16 14:17, marcel-hollerb...@t-online.de wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > i am not so happy with the name efl_self.
> >
> > Reason for that is that "self" is in the context of other languages
> > completly different compared to our use in efl_add.
> > People got confused by it, and used it wrong (We just had the case on irc).
> > And even if they get a error and see pretty quick that this will not
> > work, they still think of the usage of self from other languages.
> >
> > So I would like to propose a name like efl_add_object, efl_add_obj,
> > efl_added which really tells this only makes sense with efl_add,
> > and does not use a keyword which is used different in other languages.
> >
> > Objections / Input ?
> >

> I don't really care one way or the other, but just going to say what I
> said before on IRC so both side of the argument are represented:
>
> Our usage of "self" is not completely different to other languages. We
> use it to mean "self" just like every other language, but our scope
> where it's allowed is smaller, only in eo_add().
>
> People will get confused once, and then when they see it doesn't work
> will hopefully read the docs/ask if not just understand on their own.
> Amount of time spent per person: 1 minute in a lifetime (unlikely anyone
> will repeat this twice). Literally not worth adding an extra letter to
> type/read for.

i agree - it is "self" within that context. within an eo_add() only. it's not
used anywhere else (or to be used). efl_self is simple and fairly obvious as
what it implies - you just need to learn the "it is only used in this context".
if we rename it will it change this at all? i doubt it. it'll be harder to
DISCOVER but people may still be as confused as to why we renamed it something
else than "self" or "this".