On 31/08/17 07:09, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 20:01:22 +0000
> Mike Blumenkrantz <michael.blumenkra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Full log context:
>>
>> https://pastebin.com/YugkXB4E
>
> Not sure what that changes or matters. For further context as
> stated, KainX has spoken in  #e IRC channel in only 2 days out of the
> past ~ 5 months. Sure kick 2 others who are in there helping each other
> and other E users daily for months now. Even if off topic, amount of
> activity and helping others in the user channel should count.

In many IRC channels I am in for open source projects giving someone a
kickban for ignoring a channel moderator when they ask you to stop off
topic discussion is common and perfectly acceptable, If I was a channel
moderator and asked you to stop a certain behavior and you didn't I'd
also ban you for a period.

While yes our irc channels tend to allow more offtopicness then many we
tend to steer away from the controversial parts of politics and
religion, open source projects generally take in people from a range of
view points and often its best to avoid arguments that aren't going to
get anywhere. But most importantly the channel operators / moderators
have been appointed to have the final say on what is and isn't too far
off topic, in this case even from the log you posted I don't think it
was unreasonable for you to be asked to take that off topic chat
elsewhere, you chose to ignore a moderator so you faced the consequences
of that choice and were banned.

I am sure equally after a period of time if the channel moderators feel
that you will listen to them and respect them they will remove that ban.

Yes Kainx's language wasn't the best but you were personally attacking
him as much as he was you (you just used different words) so don't play
innocent.

All in all I think KainX's actions were for the most part reasonable and
maybe once everything cools down a bit someone will remove your ban (as
long as you listen to and respect the moderators)

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30