On Wed 03 Mar 2004, Didier Casse wrote:
> On 03/03/04, at 13:52 +0900, Carsten Haitzler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 22:01:08 -0500 Justin P <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:
> >
> > > I would love to help out with this idea.  I am new at this development
> > > thing, so I won't be able to give much in the way of guidance but would
> > > gladly be an indian and listen and do what the chiefs suggest.
> >
> > well at this stage it's probably a question of - either if we make it compatible
> > with a dist - example, make it based on debian and use .deb's then it will just
> > be a specific fork of debian's base and we can apt-get install the rest. do we
> > build off RH/fedora? or mandrake? or do we simply examine dists and "DIY"
>
> Mandrake is loaded w/ problems,... Besides Mandrake was build out of RH.
> So if we want to build a RH-based distro, why not take RH itself? :-p

This is a common misconception. Mandrake is not loaded with problems, and
no, Mandrake is NOT a RH-based distro (at least not any more). Mandrake is
actually very sleek with installation and ease of use, and has better/more
user-friendly administration tools than Red Hat. In addition, Mandrake has
urpmi for package management -- you have to use it to believe it. Apt4rpm,
on the other hand, is a hack, while urpmi is a true rpm-based automatic
dependency-resolving package installer that is even easier to use than
apt-get (as hard as that is to believe).

That said, I am welcome to the idea of building from ground up so that we
can make this as lean and mean as we possibly can. However, some of these
distributions (MandrakeMove, Knoppix notably) have LiveCD and package
management technology that we will find useful in the process, even though
they could also use a lot of optimizing.

Finally, while "Eunuchs" was sort of a joke (I wasn't surprised by the
response), we do need to settle on a name for it. Ben's project names list
posted to e-devel a few months back provides some excellent choices. Once
there is a name, we can open an SF project and get the ball rolling.

--

Ibukun Olumuyiwa
http://xcomputerman.com

"Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy
getting get understanding." - Proverbs 4:7