Sadly some think the EU is important.  The ruse has given the Tories a
lead in the polls as most Brits think of the EU as a bureaucratic
monster.  I'd have thrown in with the US as the next five states long
ago - but we are in decline and have little clue why.  US/EU
membership isn't really important - we should have moved more global
in politics and less so in production and cheap energy grabbing long
ago.  The structural problems in our economies can't be addressed
sensibly at the moment because of the money focus.  With no focus on
reality we look to the pool of ignorance to maintain government - the
EU is irrelevant to anything other than maintaining the Tories on the
basis of an isolationist UK - presumably as the offshore hub on money
dodging EU taxation.  The key issue is immigration in this fantasy and
stopping the Eastern and Southern Europeans 'taking our houses and
jobs'.