On Monday 16 December 2002 01:37 pm, Dexter Graphic wrote:
<snip>
: >
: > Setting it all up for him is something I am able to do, but it would take
: > me a couple of hours at least to produce something which any idiot could
: > use.
:
: This is a poor choice of words because Dan is not an idiot.

Perhaps he could have added "even", however I dont belive that Joe was
implying that dan was an idiot, rather that he was say it would be
extreeeeeemly easy to use. If we are going to be that critical, I would say
that your sentance above would be better written if you had started it with
"perhaps" which would imply that is your option, rather than a *fact*

:
: > I assume he'd be wise to use a menu system of some sort.  I can help
: > there as well, though I have not actually used any program that might be
: > useful except for pdmenu, which is likely not what he would want.
:
: Why would he want/need a menu system? If he prefers text-based interaction
: with his computer I would expect him to be able to issue console commands.

A menu system doesnt even imply a graphical interface. We used to write menu
systems (all text based) to make it it easier for users to do what they need
rather than having to remember all the names of the programs they would type
at a command prompt. Many users get frustrated a a command prompt and having
thier options displayed infront of them make thier use easier.
        If your unfamiliar with a menu system, try EFN's Menu program (gotta have an
EFN account...)

:
: > > So here is my proposal:
: > >
: > > If Dan pays me at a rate of $10 an hour, I will figure it
: > > out and get a text-based mail system working on his system.
: > > That includes setting up PPP, fetchmail, sendmail, procmail,
: > > mutt, emacs, and aspell. Since I know very little about any
: > > of these programs, I figure it will take me at least 25
: > > hours and possibly as many as 50 to get Dan's mail system
: > > working. This means it would cost Dan $250 to $500 to solve
: > > his problem.
: >
: > I can do the mail setup however he needs it in just a few hours at the
: > same rate.  ;)
:
: We're talking about a completely functional mail system here with all
: of the above-mentioned programs configured and usable. Did you figure
: in training and tech support? Do you think that he is going to be able
: to do all the things you can without your walking him through it and
: explaining ever step of the way?

Somehow, I think dan wants a lot of hand holding... It might be better to show
him how to read manual pages, and get the info he needs, rather than to just
teach him how to use a few programs.

:
: > I would offer my time freely, but experience shows me that:
: >
: > 1. If I do what I would normally expect to be paid for freely, then
: > nobody will expect to pay me for it.
: > 2. My cost of living is higher than my income.
: > 3. A small exchange of money for services tends to leave everyone feeling
: >    that nothing is owed to anyone.  I do not like to owe or feel like I
: >    owe anybody personally, and I do not like to feel as if I am owed
: >    something.
:
: Good thinking; although, if you are as experienced at all this as you say
: you are then you should be charging more than the $10 I would have charged.
: In the areas where I am an expert, like designing MS Access databases for
: small businesses, I charge $48 per hour.
:
: > > If anyone else with more expertise than me is willing to do
: > > it for less, then please submit your own proposals.
: >
: > More information is required really.  What exactly does he need?  More
: > detail means better ability to do what is needed quickly, efficiently,
: > and cheaply.  ;)
:
: I don't know how to be any more specific about this than I already have:
: Dan needs to get a text-based mail system working on his system. He already
: has Debian 3.0 installed and working fine. PPP and vwdial is already setup
: and working. He needs fetchmail, sendmail, procmail, mutt, emacs, and
: aspell configured so that he ends up with a fully functional GNU/Linux mail
: system. _And_ he will need to be shown how to use it. Perhaps you can print
: out the proper documentation so he has something to refer to while he's
: learning. Of course you should also include some time for phone support
: when he runs into problems down the road.

It sounds more like Dan *Wants* a text based system, He does infact have
windows, but wants to stop using windows correct?

:
: You should be able to present Dan with a package price to get the job done.
: That way he won't have to worried about costs escalating out of control.
:
: My experience is that whatever amount of time you think it will take double
: it.
:
: I am forwarding this correspondence to Dan so if you need any further
: clarification just talk to him directly. CC me if you want my input.
:
: Dexter
:
: > --
: > Joseph Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       Don't feed the
: > sigs
: >
: > I did it just to piss you off.  :-P
: >         -- Branden Robinson in a message to debian-devel
:
: Eug-LUG mailing list
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: http://mailman.efn.org/cgi-bin/listinfo/eug-lug

--
No microsoft products were used to produce this message.