That was generated by GPSMap, a nifty little util that comes with the
Kismet (the open-source wardriving util). If you have a GPS reciever
connected while you're wardriving, it logs GPS data when it detects a
packet. This is all saved to a big XML file, that GPSMap parses out, and
displayes on a map. It does a power-weighted average of points that each
AP was observed to guess where it is, and what the range on it is.

I've made a few patches to it that I haven't yet got around to getting
merged into the main source... mostly because I promised the mailing
list a feature that I was quite happy with, and I'm embarassed to post
it in the current state. I just haven't got around to finishing it yet.

Anyways. Dot color indicates protection - green is no-wep, red is wep,
blue is probably-factory-config (like a Linksys AP with a SSID of
Linksys, etc). It's all passive so it can't know if it's got MAC
restrictions on, of course.

The shape is the packet/AP type - circle is managed, triangle is ad-hoc,
+ is an association request, square is if we didn't get enough data to
create a network entry for the packets... normally this means
association requests.

Circle color is channel.

Size is a (very) rough estimation of where the network can be picked up.

The feature I wasn't happy with is the legend-printing function that
explains all of this in a box on the image. Hence my lack of a public
release :)

-Brad

Grigsby, Garl wrote:
Ok let me finish typing that now....
couple of questions. What do the various colored does mean? Are these public WAPs or are these
just "open" WAPs. How did you generate the image? Manually or did you have some
software to map out WAP locations and ranges?

http://wifimon:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/~kiloman/gpsmap/city_lo
wdetail.png