Here's another, closer view at the Chase Village, McKenna Estates, etc area:

http://wifimon:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/~kiloman/gpsmap/chasevillage_med.png

There's a few different sources for maps, including the TerraServer 3-meter sattelite photo database. Those look really cool :)

I suppose all of this should eventually lead into the question of setting up a Eugene Wireless Project. I know it's been thrown around by quite a few people in the past, but I haven't heard of any significant work being done towards it. We have some wonderfull hills to the south (and east) of us, but it can be difficult at time to get a line of site with all these nice leafy green trees.

I have a friend that works tech for a local public agency that's going to be running some serious bandwidth around various public rights-of-way. He's trying to convince his boss to set up public APs at the terminus points along the way... but all of this is years off and very pipe dream. I think the chances of anything like that happening would be strengthened if there was a significant, well organized local effort already in place when the time comes. I know that there are also various people at UO that might be swayed to set something up (sector panels on PLC, anyone? *grin*). Perhaps as a repeater at least, as they can be a bit tough as far as what gets on the UO network itself.

Anywho, I'm daydreaming again. This is all probably subject matter for another thread, and more serious consideration.

Grigsby, Garl wrote:
Ok let me finish typing that now....

couple of questions. What do the various colored does mean? Are these public WAPs or are these just "open" WAPs. How did you generate the image? Manually or did you have some software to map out WAP locations and ranges?

http://wifimon:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/~kiloman/gpsmap/city_lo
wdetail.png