There is some good software to do this, and we should be able to share
collected data into one repository pretty easily... I haven't gotten it
working yet, but now have a GPS to round out the hardware
requirements... my laptop battery sucks, but I can run out of my car via
a power inverter, and also have a range-extending (omni) antenna.

for instance, see this project:
http://www.dmzs.com/tools/files/wireless.phtml

carte.pl  --this can be adapted, IIRC, to use any map source you like,
although custom maps ought to be to scale and might require some mucking
around to attain proper alignment.  I'd like to see a wireless map of
eugene overlayed on the bicycle map of eugene that the city provides, as
it highlights most of the "alternate transportation" paths...

We have some great wireless expertise in town; Clif Cox (who sets up and
maintains the wireless gear for country fair and burning man) has been
working for SFlan; he recently obtained the business license to be an
official re-seller, and is pretty familiar with sources for specialized
hardware... I on the other hand, tend to frequent the "deal" sites to
stay abreast of the best prices on [mostly-crappy] hardware.

Regards,

    Ben

PS - I'd be willing to commit to some local wardriving in mid-October...