I'm running Gentoo on my Pismo powerbook. I was doing most of my wardriving with a borrowed Orinoco card, and a HyperGain +8db antenna with a magnetic base. I got myself a Garmin eTrex Legend GPS, comes with a serial connector, and has a built-in DGPS patch antenna. Since the Pismo doesn't have a serial port, I got a cheap Belkin 'USB PDA adapter' from Curcuit Shitty while I was getting the Garmin. (can you tell I planned this out?)

The antenna and the PCMCIA Orinoco were reclaimed by their owner, so I recently got myself a Senao card from NetGate, and bought myself my own antenna (same one I was borrowing). The Senao card is 200mw, and is the same one that the Seattle Wireless guys use for their long-distance links. It's prism2 based, so lots of nice Linux support.

Here are some links:
Senao card:
http://www.netgate.com/NL2511.html
(got here in 2 days from Washington - great service)
HyperGain antenna:
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2409mgu.php
Will custom-build the correct pigtail for your card for an extra 5 bucks. Mag base is great - stayed on the roof of my Maxima up to 65mph, until the wave front from an oncoming Semi knocked it back a foot or two.

-Brad

Grigsby, Garl wrote:
I've been itching to try this for some time, but I haven't got any hardware yet, other than my laptop. In fact I spent a couple of hours about a week ago bouncing around Ebay looking at wireless cards and GPS antennas. I've been thinking that I would prefer a USB GPS antenna, but I haven't looked at what is supported on Linux. So what GPS unit are you using? What wireless card? Are there any wireless PCMCIA cards that will support an external antenna? I've been looking at probably getting a DLink DWL-650 because a) they are cheap, and b) they seem to have pretty good Linux support (prism2).
So does anybody have a WiFi card they are looking to get rid of? I have some cash and lots of stuff I can trade. Just let me know.

Thanks, Garl