On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 01:36:55PM -0800, Jason Van Cleve wrote:
> Quoth Jacob Meuser, on Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:33:14 -0800:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 10:16:56AM -0800, Jason wrote:
> > > Happy Friday all:
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any personal opinions on using
> > > FreeBSD as a primary OS? Or, any thoughts on using
> > > OpenBSD vs. FreeBSD? I am most interested in things
> > > from a desktop perspective, though any thoughts are
> > > appreciated.
>
> As for performance, I saw some benchmarks not long ago in which FreeBSD
> really stood out.  It was sort of FreeBSD and Linux2.6 in a tie for the
> lead.  OpenBSD didn't do so well.

You're probably referring to http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability/.

Those were mostly networking related benchmarks.  The issues both with
speed of execution by OpenBSD and the benchmark tests themselves have
been dealt with.  OpenBSD should score much better on those tests now,
and fefe did agree to rerun the tests, but alas, no updates.

OpenBSD-current, which will be 3.5 around June 1st, implements CARP
[http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=carp] and pfsync
[http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=pfsync].  If that's
not scalability, I don't know what is.

Oh, and you can put your boot sector beyond the 1024th cylinder too.

--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>