And on the other side of the spectrum, the reason I asked in the first
place is that in all
the years I've worked with computers, until now I've never had a hard
drive fail on me without
extenuating circumstances, like the whole machine getting fried. Even
back in the MFM and ESDI days, all of them have been solid. So when my
friends would talk about drives and drive manufacturers as if they were
sampling wine, I figured they were making it up as they went along. You
know, like those guys that complain about losing pixels on their
monitors. ;-)

                                                        J. Toman