In that video the joint is already loose.  That should never happen in a
proper joint.

Joint under torqued, Nordlock good, maybe.

Joint torqued properly, no looseness under any conditions, Nordlock
redundant, to be sure.

This is really a very technical topic that has generated stacks of research
that has been published and peer reviewed, that video left me with more
questions than it answered.

The video made me even more wary, because they purposely left that joint
they vibrated loose, to exaggerate the effect.

I have had the use of vibration equipment in my work and regularly affixed
all manner of parts and fixtures to it an vibrated the bejeesus out of them
for weeks on end and never had any motion like that and never had to resort
to a Nordlock.

That video did not convince me.   It looks like the Nordlock is only useful
when the joint is already too loose.  I think in some conditions and
materials the serrations might actually cause some compression set and
reduce the clamping force.

They did some tricky talking about applied force and torque.  The washers
have a smaller contact area than a more conventional washer.  This is not
necessarily a good thing, but it depends.  For a given torque this will
generate a higher pressure in to a smaller area; it could in some
circumstances degrade the performance of a joint than a larger washer.
The business comparing the angles of the Nordlock and the threads eluded
me.  And watching the ramps ride up and pop down was troubling.  All those
serrations top and bottom.  Why do I like that?

This all seems so unnecessary.  I really don't get it.

To believe,  I would need to see a side by side test where I can really
tell the same torque was applied to both the Nordlock and conventional
joints in exactly the same manner, and that the conventional joint was done
right.

To the good though, that guy had the accent of a very educated person who
would not ever spin a tale.

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Evan Tuer <evan.t...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Don't ask me, ask Nord-Lock ;)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I