Michael Ross wrote:
I see AGM BP17-12 at amazon prime for $42.  Hard to think of putting in Li
for that cost.

Presumably, all AGM are not created equal - how does one tell good from bad?

Price, and weight are the best indicator. The heavier the battery, the more lead in it. The more lead, the better the performance.

If I use cheap AGMs with a product's supplied charger, I only get 1-2 years out of them. With a good charger, I still only get 2-3 years out of them.

But I have Enersys, Hawker, and Concorde AGMs that are now over 10 years old and still delivering at least half of their original capacity. I also have Gates, and Deka gels just as old that are still usable.

Everything depends on a) the initial quality, b) never abusing them, and c) luck. :-)

--
If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?
        -- Albert Einstein