On 29 Apr 2014 at 13:03, Lee Hart wrote:

> Gels are capable of long life; but only the very best premium brands
> will in fact deliver it. Deka Dominators and Gates Cyclons are two that
> I know will last.

One of the Deka's secrets to long cycle life is that it's a rather severely
acid-starved design.  This essentially forces you to limit discharge of the
plates to 80% DOD.  It also makes potential buyers think "Wow, that seems
like awfully low capacity for that size and weight of battery."

The other is unusually tight manufacturing tolerance (consistency) and
careful quality control.  Solectria Force owners routinely get 5-7 years of
service from these batteries, and most don't use any kind of BMS (Solectria
didn't include one).

As with many other things, in batteries, you don't always get what you pay
for, but you seldom get what you don't pay for.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator