Ben Goren wrote:

> The AC-51s use 6207-2RS bearings; my main job is to research their side
> 35s out there, and that he thinks I'm probably okay -- though, of course,
> I need to confirm that. If anybody can suggest a good way to put some
> numbers to that, I'd appreciate it.

Not sure if it helps, but here is a specific example of a pair of HPEVs AC-31s
installed in a side-loaded arrangement:

<http://evalbum.com/4283>

You can see more details of the torque combiner unit on John's (the owner's)
site:

<http://www.signaturerenewables.com/component.php>

His torque combiner uses a 2:1 ratio belt drive to connect the two motors to a
common output, and you might just be able to re-use his design in your
application with little modification.  Certainly, it can't hurt to ask.

Regarding putting numbers on the acceptable side load, or conversely, on the
life of the bearing under a given load condition, this Timken calculator might
be useful:

<http://www.timken.com/EN-US/Knowledge/engineers/Pages/BearingLife.aspx>

Your 6207 crosses dimensionally to Timken's 207W, MM207K, and MMC207K ball
bearings; of these, the 207W seems to have higher rated life.  On this page,
click 'Select Type' and select "BB" from the list, then enter "207W" into the
part number box and click 'Lookup'.  After this you can enter radial and axial
loads and speed values and hit 'Calculate' to see the effect on fatigue life.

My understanding is that radial (side) load is exactly what the ball bearing is
designed to handle, and that the real concern is the axial loading that these
bearings might be subjected to in a more typical EV conversion with a manual
clutch.  For greater axial load capability one might want to upgrade the
bearings to an angular contact type, however, in your case axial load should be
minimal.

Cheers,

Roger.