On Aug 6, 2014, at 9:02 AM, EVDL Administrator via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> On 6 Aug 2014 at 3:37, Dennis Miles via EV wrote:
>
>> Ben, autos stopped using chain or belt drives 80 years ago ...
>
> Thank goodness!  Imagine having to crawl under your car to clean and lube
> the chain every month or so.
>
> That's something to think about for this Mustang hybrid conversion - how
> will you lube the chains, Ben?

That's why I'm (still tentatively) planning not on a chain but an Harley-style
Gilmer (toothed) belt. No lubrication required (or desired). Belt tension needs
to be checked every so often -- likely about as often as the V8 will need oil
changes. Harleys get as many miles out of their belts as aircooled VW Busses
get out of their engines, with no more maintenance than occasional tension
adjustments. Mechanical efficiency is good, too, within an hair's breadth of a
chain in an oil bath.

I'm also figuring there'll be some sheet metal beneath the motors to protect
them from road debris, with the front and rear shaped to create an air scoop
for cooling. Put a grille and filter in the front and call it a day -- with
that kind of protection from the road, assuming proper sizing, the belts should
last much longer than on a motorcycle (where the belts are often partially
exposed).

See here for an article with photos discussing the pros and cons of each drive
system:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2008/05/08may08_chainsvbelt/

Cheers,

b&