Back in the 80's I experimented with a v6 engine with a in and out clutch.  Use
the input shaft of a transmission which a transmission shop gave me.  This
mates with the clutch disk.  The input shaft had its gears machine off to fit a
taper lock coupler on a No. 60 change coupler.  Another taper lock fitting on
the change coupler connected to the input shaft of the EV motor which had a
standard flywheel, clutch, pressure plate that connected to a transmission.

The chain coupler had a two piece bolt on housing that has a grease fitting on
it which can be grease at the same time all the other grease fittings on the EV
needed greasing.

You need some flex at this coupler, because when the engine starts or you apply
a violent acceleration, this allows the engine to thrust back and forth and
from side to side.

It is best to place the engine and motor on the same rigid plat form and than
use donut motor mounts to connect this platform to the vehicle frame.

I use all these drive mechanism from the Dodge Power Transmission Company.
They also make a dynaflex coupler that bolts directly to the flywheel which has
a taper lock bushing that would fit the motor which may work better than a
chain coupler.  The dynaflex coupler has more side to side and end to end
motion.  We use one of these units on a power speed boat that turn a jet pump.

If I was to build another EV again,  I would build a sub frame all out of
aluminum I or H rails.  The flat form bolts on these rails.  The rail would be
design to hold the radiator, engine, motor, transmission, drive line and a
swing axle differential.  You just pull four pins or four bolts and the whole
works slide out onto a four wheel carrier like they do for jet engines on a
aircraft.

The battery pack could be unplug and can be slide in or out for major
maintenance or replacement.

In my existing EV, I built a sub-frame that holds the accessory drive, the
motor, and transmission.  Design the cross members to connect to the EV side
rails so all I have to do is remove cross members that bolt up under the side
rails instead on top.  Use a floor jack with a modified attachments that
replaces the floor jack lift point by just sliding this attachment on.

I can remove all this assembly and replace it with a spare set in with a day.

Roland