If vehicle purchase was only about economics, 80% of commuter vehicles would be
mopeds and Vespa-style scooters. That they're not should tell you that much
more than mere economics goes into vehicle purchase decisions...

...and "freedom" (or versatility) is very high on that list. Indeed, it's the
sort of thing so high on the list that it's not even a consideration for
anybody until it's not available or somehow limited.

Another example: I'd guess that probably 80% of driving is done at speeds of 45
MPH and below. It would be very economical to buy a vehicle with a top speed of
only 45 MPH. Yet who seriously considers a vehicle that's not rated for the
freeway, save for certain very limited domains (like golf cars in retirement
communities)?

Or, heck. Probably 80% of driving is done during daylight hours, too, so why
bother with the expense of headlights when you can just make sure you never
have to drive at night? And 80% of driving is done in dry conditions, so why
have windshield wipers when you can just stay home when it might rain?

I could go on, but you hopefully get the point.

Today's EV fleet makes all kinds of sense for significant numbers of people,
including many who might initially dismiss them out of hand. We should make
sure everybody seriously considers them, but we most emphatically should *NOT*
try to convince people that they can be happy with an EV by reducing their
expectations for what a car should be capable of. If you're a single-car
household today and you make monthly trips towing your boat to the lake 75
miles away, even if your daily commute is a mere ten miles, an EV isn't for you
-- and that's just fine! Wait for the technology to catch up, but don't feel
guilty in the mean time because you don't meet some idealized purity test of
maximum economy.

b&