Paul, I would like to see the details.  Did you attached a temp sending unit to
the motor?   It may help to determine the signal type and level needed by the
ZEVA.

________________________________
From: EV <ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org> on behalf of paul dove via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2016 4:30 AM
To: Tom Keenan; Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Electronics help anyone

I did this on my Celica. I can dig up the details if you want them.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 26, 2016, at 7:59 PM, Tom Keenan via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
>
> I ended up replacing the bi-metal 'voltage regulator' with a solid state 7805
> (if memory serves) to provide voltage to the fuel gauge and the temperature
> gauge (I use an OEM temp sending unit attached to the motor case). Works fine
> with the ZEVA unit on the '89 style gauges.
>
> Tom Keenan
>
>> On Oct 26, 2016, at 3:33 PM, Cor van de Water via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Reason your resistor goes up in smoke at the end of the scale
>> is that the display of the tank level takes quite a bit of power,
>> the (cheap and rugged) way Ford did this was using a bi-metal to
>> drive the needle and a *heater* to control the position of the needle
>> by bending the bi-metal due to it getting warm.
>> So, if it requires say 1/4 Amp at the minimum resistance of the heater
>> then the resistor may need to be able to dissipate 2 Watts or burn up
>> if it is too light...
>> You should be able to drive the needle by outputting a voltage, probably
>> the easiest is a PWM controlled output, with the duty cycle controlling
>> the position of the needle.
>> No resistors needed. But you are likely to see that the PWM must stay
>> below
>> about 50% duty cycle or it overheats the bi-metal (needle in the corner)
>> so set the start (empty) and end (full) PWM limits accordingly.
>>
>> Success!
>>
>> Cor van de Water
>> Chief Scientist
>> Proxim Wireless
>>
>> office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
>> XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info
>>
>> http://www.proxim.com
Proxim - Wireless Broadband, Backhaul Solutions and Access
...<http://www.proxim.com/>
www.proxim.com
Proxim Wireless offers licensed and unlicensed point to point, backhaul,
bridge, point to multipoint, wireless broadband and wireless access points.