On Sun Feb 12 08:34:05 PST 2017 ev@lists.evdl.org said:
>Doing the math with the typical 250 Whrs per mile of a Prius, then at 60
>MPh, that 250Whrs per minute or 15kWh over an hour so you need a 15 kW
>generator just to cruise on level ground pusing a Prius.  For pushing a
>heavier car  full of Lead-acids, not nearly as efficient as a Prius You
>might need 25 to 30 kW.

It really depends on the specifics of his conversion.
I have one of the least efficient EV's around.  (F250)  It cruises at 60mph
using around 30KW.  It's likely that his conversion will use less than that.
I'm actually looking into a genset range extender - but not a cheap one.
I'm looking at using a 4 cylinder BMW engine (with all pollution controls
intact) to drive a generator head.
I MIGHT use a 3-phase generator adjusted to put out around 300V DC (rectified)
- but even that has issues with essentially being a "bad boy" charger. (only
pulls current from the peak of the AC waveform on each phase)  So would likely
need at least a 50KW capable generator head.
The other choice is to use something like 3 PFC-50 chargers, one on each phase
so they are isolated.
That runs into lots and lots of $$$ though.

Note: Yes, I do actually have an identical diesel F250.  That's not an ideal
solution to longer trips though.  I make a fair number of trips that are about
150% of my range.  So I have to use the diesel.  (I don't have a CHaDemo port,
and am not interested in waiting 4 hours for enough charge from a level 2 to
get home.)
The Diesel gets 16mpg, and isn't super reliable.  I've had to do semi-major
repairs on it about twice a year.
I would probalby get better than 16mpg from the BMW genset - and I wouldn't
need to run it for an entire trip.

--

Worlds only All Electric F-250 truck!
http://john.casadelgato.com/Electric-Vehicles/1995-Ford-F-250