On 5/16/2023 11:41 AM, Willie via EV wrote:

"...I don't think it is cost effective to replace a battery when it starts losing significant range..."
[....]
"I don't personally drive the 13S85 but feel like I could live with reduced SuperCharging power rather than attempt to sue Tesla over the issue.  If the limit were down to 40kw, I would be far more assertive/aggressive. ..."

The max I've seen is about 70 kW, but it quickly gets below 60, then 50, then 40.  I've had it checked out by the local service center and made sure they took the request seriously and they both told me that it is performing within spec, that they could upgrade the battery to 90 from 70 for something like $22k (new) or less if I was ok with a battery that was not as fresh (I don't remember the exact definition), but they told me that they will not guarantee that the work will improve the supercharging speed.  I'm guessing it would, but I also think it's downright improper for them to ask that I spend that kind of money, and even be willing to spend more if there's something that would help address the supercharging speeds, and they just won't offer it.  (And this is a 2015 vehicle.... one would think if there's some onboard hardware or software that is the bottleneck that it would be possible to upgrade it).

I may disagree about the value of a battery replacement or upgrade, though I do think there's an issue there of whether gen1 vehicles can be revised to handle the latest battery technology. We can't expect a company to make packs of 18650 cells for dozens of years when they have moved on to other formats.

"...I don't know that you have noticed, but there is quite a bit of Tesla negativism" here on EVDL.  I fail to understand it. ..."

I haven't paid attention, but I'm not surprised.  Many EV forums I run across have an issue with Tesla critics and/or sycophants making the forum somewhat more difficult to use.  As for myself, I have mixed views.  They do not balance out to exactly "equal", but I try to give credit and credit where I think they are due, in all things, and in the case of both Tesla and its CEO, this results in mixed thinking, though I guess I have a summary view on certain things.  In the particular case of the issue under discussion (incentives for giving up vehicles equipped with the free supercharging), I do think there is possibly (but not definitely) an element of sleaze to Tesla's throttling some packs to charge at such slow rates that the owner is incentivized to get rid of the vehicle.  That is, they may throttle the speeds in the name of safety or battery longevity (I'm not sure if they've actually given a reason), but I question if it's in part because they want to provide an extra incentive for the owner to get out of the car.  In my case, while I can say a number of good things about the vehicle and my experience with it, and at one time I had visions of upgrading the battery and keeping the vehicle for the rest of my life (and driving around the country free of supercharging fees), if I do get out of this Tesla it would probably be in trade for a non-Tesla long-range BEV.  There are several reasons for this including the extremely slow supercharging speeds, the still-somewhat-inadequate range (compared to what I need), and some other issues not based on the vehicle itself.
HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/