On 14 Jun 2011, at 21:19, Terren Suydam wrote:

Thanks for the reply Bruno, comments below...

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
doesn't that imply the possibility
of an artificial intelligence?

In a weak sense of Artificial Intelligence, yes. In a strong sense, no.

If you are duplicated at the right substitution level, few would say that "you" have become an "artificial intelligence". It would be a case of the
good old natural intelligence, but with new clothes.

Sure, but the distinction between artificial and natural intelligence
is not that important assuming comp.

I agree with you. The difference between artificial and natural is ... artificial (and thus it is natural indexical done by any entity having some big "ego").

The point is simply that if I can
be simulated (which I agree requires some faith), that implies that
intelligence does not require biology (or any other particular
"physical" substrate), that strong artificial intelligence is possible
in principle, ignoring for the moment the question of whether we can
provably construct it.

I agree. My point was similar to the recent post of Russell Standish, that somehow Colin get a result which is a consequence of comp, and can't be use against comp. Only against a misunderstood view of comp.

In fact, if we are machine, we cannot know which machine we are, and that is why you need some luck when saying "yes" to a doctor who will build a copy
of you/your-body, at some level of description of your body.

This is an old result. Already in 1922, Emil Post, who discovered "Church thesis" ten years before Church and Turing (and others) realized that the "Gödelian argument" against Mechanism (that Post discovered and refuted 30 years before Lucas, and 60 years before Penrose), when corrected, shows only that a machine cannot build a machine with equivalent qualification to its
own qualification (for example with equivalent provability power in
arithmetic) *in a provable way*. I have refered to this, in this list, under the name of "Benacerraf principle", who rediscovered this later.

We just cannot do artificial intelligence in a provable manner. We need
chance, or luck. Even if we get some intelligent machine, we will not
know-it-for sure (perhaps just believe it correctly).

Doesn't this objection only apply to attempts to construct an AI with
human-equivalent intelligence?  As a counter example I'm thinking here
of Ben Goertzel's OpenCog, an attempt at artificial general
intelligence (AGI), whose design is informed by a theory of
intelligence that does not attempt to mirror or model human
intelligence. In light of the "Benacerraf principle", isn't it
possible in principle to provably construct AIs so long as we're not
trying to emulate or model human intelligence?

I think that comp might imply that simple virgin (non programmed) universal (and immaterial) machine are already conscious. Perhaps even maximally conscious. Then adding induction gives them Löbianity, and this makes them self-conscious (which might already be a delusion of some sort). Unfortunately the hard task is to interface such (self)- consciousness with our probable realities (computational histories). This is what we can hardly be sure about. I still don't know if the brain is just a filter of consciousness, in which case losing neurons might enhance consciousness (and some data in neurophysiology might confirm this). I think Goertzel is more creating a competent machine than an intelligent one, from what I have read about it. I oppose intelligence/consciousness and competence/ ingenuity. The first is needed to develop the later, but the later has a negative feedback on the first.

Bruno