From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-09, 09:55:41
Subject: Re: Wave collapse and consciousness

On 09 Jan 2013, at 12:20, Roger Clough wrote:

> Hi Bruno Marchal
>

> You say, "Well, with comp, the mind arise from arithmetic."
>
> Wouldn't a Platonist say instead that arithmetic arises from mind ?

Some Platonist have defended idealism, but the problem then is that we
can no more an explanation for mind.
With comp, we do get a simple theory of mind (computer science/
mathematical logic), and we can explain both consciousness and the
illusion of matter from it, and this leads us back to the root of
Platonism: Pythagorism. There is only numbers and numbers computable
relations (in the outside view). The inside view get richer, though.

All you need is arithmetical realism: the idea that "43 is prime" in
all possible situation, independently of the existence of humans,
aliens, bacteria, etc.

Bruno