On 1/22/2013 7:22 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
Hi Craig Weinberg
If you knew more about the history of philsophy,
you'd know that Berkeley finally had to admit that the world out
there is real prior to our individual observation because
it is all observed by God.
Hi Roger,

This is a good example of the problem that the notion of God has; it server only to act as an impartial observer "so that everything is real". When we consider large numbers of observers that can communicate with each other meaningfully, we obtain a means to define 'reality' and have no need for the excess hypothesis of God as observer. God's role becomes even less meaningful when we see that the point of view of such an entity cannot be transformed into that of a real observer that we can communicate with, as it is somehow special. We learn from GR and QM that there are neither preferred reference frames or observational points of view nor measurement basis. This pretty much makes the God hypothesis irrelevant. Why people would seek to rehabilitate it to play the same role again for mathematics puzzles me!

--
Onward!

Stephen