On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM, <spudboy...@aol.com> wrote:

> Yes, Jesse, I do buy into that arguement.

Which one? The idea that declining prices of solar panels are bad news for
solar energy? Or the one that says Solyndra is representative of what
happens when the government invests in solar and other forms of clean
energy?

> If you permit me, I will exclude DailyKos Kos Kids from your evidence, as
> the are far from a disinterested party in this matter.

I only cited Kos as an afterthought, to support the point that the Solyndra
story is being pushed by conservative media outlets (they provided plenty
of links to original sources, so I wonder if you actually question the
specifics of that post or if any link to their site would elicit a
knee-jerk ad hominem dismissal from you regardless of its specific
content). My main point, that Solyndra isn't representative of the outcome
from government investment in solar, was supported by the three articles
before that. It's fine with me if you prefer to address the other articles
rather than the Kos article, but you didn't do that, in fact your response
completely ignored the other articles and the evidence they presented. Did
you glance over those articles? If so, do you dispute any of the factual
points they made? For example, do you dispute the graph at the end of the
Media Matters article showing a recent surge in the amount of energy from
solar each year? Likewise, do you dispute any factual aspect of this part
of the longer Forbes magazine quote I posted?

"when judged by its entire diverse portfolio of investments, the LGP has
performed remarkably well. Indeed, with a capitalization of just $4
billion, DOE has committed or closed $37.8 billion in loan guarantees for
36 innovative clean energy projects. The Solyndra case represents less than
2% of total loan commitments made by DOE, and will be easily covered by a
capitalization of eight to ten times larger than any ultimate losses
expected following the bankruptcy proceedings."

> Whatever the politics, whatever the polemics, a technology has to do this,
> be successful. If solar is always just a fraction of the world's energy,
> despite decades and bilions, then I have some problem with proposing it.

Decades in which it wasn't anywhere close to being cost-competive with oil,
something which is changing now (see for example
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=can-solar-challenge-natural-gas).
Are you just assuming the future will be like the past, or do you have
any other basis for predicting solar will "always" be just a fraction of
world energy?

Jesse