On 10 November 2013 12:34, Jesse Mazer <laserma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you just assuming the future will be like the past, or do you have any
> other basis for predicting solar will "always" be just a fraction of world
> energy?
>
> Jesse

There is no rational basis for this belief because solar energy incident on
Earth far, far, far outstrips anything our puny civilisation can generate.
I'm not sure of the exact ratio (and I'm too lazy to look it up right now)
but it's at least thousands, probably millions to one.

In my opinion no civilisation can call itself technologically advanced when
it has a fusion reactor in its backyard yet gets most of its energy by
digging up dead plants (originally powered by said fusion reactor, of
course) and extracting the minute amount of energy they managed to trap. In
100 billion years they will look back and say "you had all that energy
available and you *still* screwed up because of stupid mammalian politics?
All we have is black dwarfs, and we're doing OK..."

Admittedly that message from the future may have been slightly garbled in
transmission, but I think that's what they said.