On 11/11/2013 12:15 AM, LizR wrote:
On 11 November 2013 21:07, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:

    On 10 Nov 2013, at 08:42, LizR wrote:

    On 10 November 2013 18:11, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
    <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

        On 11/9/2013 6:13 PM, spudboy...@aol.com <mailto:spudboy...@aol.com>
wrote:
        Let me ask you Jesse do you suggest any substitute that we can turn to
for
        transforming world civilization to clean power? The only significant
thing I
        can think of, would be hiring Craig Venter to produce some methane or
hydrogen
        maker, that can, if necessary convert sea water to fuel.

        You seem ignorant that converting sea water to fuel takes more energy
than you
        can get from burning the fuel (hydrogen).  So you still need a clean
energy
        source to do the conversion.

    This would be a possible way of creating fuel for easy transport. One of
the big
    points about petrol is that it's very transportable. The best solution to
the
    world's energy problems imho would be to find a method of extracting carbon
dioxide
    from the air and converting it plus water into petrol using solar power.
    Carbon-neutral petrol and we don't have to rejig all our existing transport
    systems. If we can extract more carbon than we use we might even cool the
earth too.

    Is that not what the plants are doing, all the time?

Yes, but unfortunately the whole process takes millions of years.

That's to produce oil and coal. But we could just burn plants - which we once did. Or we can extract liquid fuels in various ways from plants (e.g. ferment to alcohol). But these methods are, so far, very inefficient - less efficient than wind or photovoltaics. Maybe genetic engineering of algae to produce oils will make it practical.

Brent

    Can we do better, I mean today?

Not at carbon sequestration, but to achieve a reduction in CO2 by growing plants we would have to stop using cars and power plants and so on. The reason I gave the above suggestion is that if we can do it, it would enable us to be carbon neutral without giving up our civilisation to do so.

No virus found in this message.