>> I have known Brent for a long time, and think this rather unlikely. He
has a string grasp of Physics and other general scientific topics, as
well as a lifetime of professional research.

Then he is hoisting himself up with his own petard. Either he needs to be a
climate scientist or he doesn't.

>> but understanding what is written has a much lower bar.

It does. You are now in agreement with me rather than Brent.

>> Absolutely. But people without any form of research training would find it
very difficult indeed.

All attempts to write about science for general consumption are worthless are
they, Russell? For example, you spent 5 years translating Bruno's book to what
end? No end? I mean if what you say is true you should make absolutely clear to
everyone you can that they should not buy the book unless they possess the
requisite qualifications which few people are going to have. I don't think you
really believe that. I think you believe that core issues about a science can
be communicated to lay people sufficiently well for them to make rational
decisions about them.

Besides which, its just the logic of the situation that even if it where
impossible to understand anything about climate science without a PHd in it,
statements about consensus would still be empty. It would still be a logical
fallacy to proclaim something to be true because of who said it, rather than
what was said.

>> Sadly, there are very few politicians with that sort of training though.

Most politicians have training in Law. A far more subtle and far harder
discipline than science. You should give them more credit.