-----Original Message-----
From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Russell Standish
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 8:23 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: If you can't disprove the science, you can always try suing

On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 06:24:04PM -0700, meekerdb wrote:

> If scientists are more likely to believe something that is true in
> their field than to believe the contrary (which is false), then it is
> a simple application of Bayesian inference to show that scientists
> believing X is evidence for X.  It doesn't mean that their belief
> *causes* X any more that OJ's bloody glove causes him to murder
> Nichol.  But to hold that "97% of climate scientists believe burning
> fossil fuel is causing global warming." is *not* evidence for the
> truth of that statement requires that you also believe scientists are
> more likely to believe what is false than its contrary.
>
> Brent

Cue the Bayesian and Popperian armies for a bloody clash. Where's Elliot
when you need some fun!

Thanks... that got me laughing... the image of Bayesian and Popperian armies
aligning in the field of battle each carrying the flag of truth, filled with
the conviction that comes with.
Cheers,
Chris

Principal, High Performance Coders