>> If in some general discussion of climate change someone says (as a
convenient shorthand) that "97% of climate scientists agree that AGW is a
 fact", what is the logical fallacy they are committing? I'd like to
know so I can avoid it in future myself.

if you are just pointing out that a consensus exists and nothing more then it
isn't a fallacy. This consensus exists.

If on the other hand you are pointing out that the consensus exists for some
other end, ie as a means of convincing people of the truth of any statement
other than '97% of scientist think climate change is occurring', then it is a
fallacy. Things are not true because people believe them right?