On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>
wrote:

> > you could define creativity as the ability to generate interesting
> things.

OK.

> I was trying to avoid "interesting" to not get into a circular
> definition.

There is no circularity. Although there are several competing definitions
of "complexity" they all have one thing in common, they're all objective;
but "interesting" is 100% subjective, it is a desire to find out more about
something.

> "interesting" is more relevant than "difficult" when it comes to
> creativity.

There is a connection between the two;  if something is too simple then our
curiosity about it has been satiated and there just isn't any more
information about it to know, and if it's very complex and we haven't yet
done our homework to put the information already available into some sort
of logical order in our mind then there is little desire to obtain yet more
information. Yes a scientist may desire more information about puzzling
phenomenon X in the hope of solving the problem, but only after he has
already mastered the information already known about the strange X effect.

> novelty is also in the eye of the beholder

It can be but something like a paintball splatter is novel to everyone, and
it's complex too, but few would desire more information about it so it's
not very interesting.

> > My point is that equating creativity with difficulty seems to
> simplistic.

It is too simplistic, I equated creativity with difficulty and novelty and
interest.

> Creativity is difficult, but it doesn't follow that difficult is creative.

True, but I would always call coming up with something that was difficult
(or complex) and novel and interesting creative.

 John K Clark