On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 10:29:42AM -0400, John Clark wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 9:37 PM, Kim Jones <kimjo...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>

> > > What makes a human intelligent is CREATIVITY and that is by now well
> > understood and no, machines (the human constructed ones) cannot do that
> > yet.
> >

> The definition of creativity is not constant, it is whatever computers
> can't do YET.  Before Google In the late 1990s being the best research
> librarian in the world took creativity, but not today. For thousands of
> years being the best chess player in the world took creativity but that
> stopped being true in 1997.  Being the  best Jeopardy champion on the
> planet took creativity until things suddenly changed in 2010, and solving
> differential equations stopped being creative in the 1980s.

Solving differential equations still requires creativity, and will
always do so, as not all DEs have closed form solutions, and no
algorithm will find the closed form solution for all equations that
do. Perhaps you mean computing a numerical approximation, which hasn't
required creativity since the mid-1800s, though still does if the aim
is to compute the approximation to desired levels of accuracy in
practical amounts of time.

On a slightly lesser note - I disagree that being a research librarian
doesn't take creativity, although obviously Google has completely
changed the rules.

As for Chess - doesn't Deep Blue exhibit some forms of bounded
creativity anyway?

> Computers still aren't very good at image recognition so we should reflect
> on that fact while we still can, therefore I  suggest that June 23 (Alan
> Turing's birthday by the way) be turned into a international holiday called
> "Image Recognition Appreciation Day". On this day we would all reflect on
> the creativity required to recognize images. It is important that this be
> done soon because although computers are not very good at this task right
> now that will certainly change in the next few years. On the day computers
> become good at it the laws of physics in the Universe will change and
> creativity will no longer be required for image recognition.

I don't think image recognition ever took creativity - it was always
something we're kind of good at for evolutionary reasons. It might
take creativity to create a machine that is good at it, but I doubt
that machine itself will be creative.

Principal, High Performance Coders

 Latest project: The Amoeba's Secret
         (http://www.hpcoders.com.au/AmoebasSecret.html)