On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>
wrote:

> Solving differential equations still requires creativity, and will always
> do so

OK fine, but can you find the exact solutions to differential equations
better than Mathematica?  I don't think so.

> Perhaps you mean computing a numerical approximation

Computers are better than humans at that too.

> I disagree that being a research librarian doesn't take creativity,

At one time it took a lot of creativity to be a good research librarian but
not anymore, today computers are good at it and creativity is whatever a
computer isn't good at. Yet.

> I don't think image recognition ever took creativity - it was always
> something we're kind of good at for evolutionary reasons.

One thing that AI research has taught us is that we were completely wrong
about what was inherently easy and what was inherently hard. Telling the
difference between a whale and a watermelon takes far more brainpower than
solving differential equations, it's just that to our ancestors on the
African savanna being good at solving differential equations didn't much
increase the likelihood your genes would make it into the next generation,
but being good at image recognition did. If you like all human beings could
just glance at a differential equation and instantly know what its
solutions were with virtually no effort you'd say it required no
creativity; but if you had to go down lots of logical dead ends and it took
you many hours of deep thought before you were able to tell the difference
between a whale and a watermelon you'd say it took great creativity.

  John K Clark