On 10/2/2014 7:20 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

    NP-hard problem are computable...

    Yes.

    they just take exponential time to solve.

    Assuming that P ≠ NP, which is indeed  judged very plausible by all experts
(but
    not all) in the field, but remains still unproved today. It is as you know
a famous
    open problem.

This is why I find protein folding intriguing. I see the following
possibilities:

-> Molecular interactions entail an immense computational power;

Assuming the very linear base of QM is correct, that is the case. A priori to emulate exactly an hydrogen atom, you need a continuum of universal numbers, that is, assuming that comp and the derivation are correct, we need a computer exploiting its FPI statistics on the limit of all computations (in the FPI sense) to emulate even a very little piece of "matter". I guess this means that we need a quantum computer. Now, if our subst level is classical, it would mean that a rough classical emulation of the behavior of the molecules would be enough, and that might be polynomially computable in the length of the (arbitrary) input.

That might still require high parallelism in practice, and the polynomial idea of simplicity is still quite theoretical, as in practice an high degree polynomial on a high input remains intractable.

The folding of protein molecules in biological systems is catalyzed by the presence of other molecules. Because of the decoherence produced by all the interactions in solution it is essentially classical - which it would have to be in order to function reliably in cell metabolism.