On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 02 Oct 2014, at 14:41, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 3:25 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

>>> This is why I find protein folding intriguing. I see the following
>>> possibilities:
>>>
>>> -> Molecular interactions entail an immense computational power;
>>> -> P = NP;
>>> -> We are constantly winning at quantum suicide.
>>> Am I missing something?
>>>

>> P=/=NP doesn't mean that NP problems require "immense computational
>> power" beyond what could biochemistry can provide.  Being NP is just a
>> statement about how a problem scales with size of the input.  But for some
>> given finite size it might be quickly solved.
>>

> Right, but with protein folding we have an interesting comparison. Given
> the practical applications, many bioinformatics labs are working on the
> problem. Finding the lowest energy state for many interesting proteins
> seems to be beyond the capabilities of very powerful clusters using current
> algorithms.
>
> I agree with you that the most likely answer is that biochemistry can
> indeed provide this computational power, but this is not an observation
> devoid of interesting implications. One is technological: imagine what we
> could do with biochemical computers. The other is related to the brain: if
> biochemistry can unleash this computational power, then surely the brain
> uses it. In which case our estimations of how far away we are from AGI may
> be optimistic.
>

> But what is an AGI? A machine which decapitate another machines becomes
> the run another program?

We already have something a bit like this with Tom Ray's Tierra
environment. A lot of interesting things happen there, live parasitism and
viruses, all in a machine code ecology.

In any case, I mean AGI in the engineering sense: the sort of technology
that can free us from unwanted work. Or, put another way, a level of
automation where no task requires a human. So that humans are free to
pursue poetry, space exploration, sex orgies or whatever else they please.

> I think that Löbian universal machines are already intelligent, and that
> we can accelerate the growing of competence, although this is utimately
> what intelligence is for on this plane, but this might limit their
> intelligence, and indeed they might become as delusional and 'stupid' like
> us and get sleepy in the samsara.

I like your intelligence/competence dichotomy. It's usually artists that
are more aware of this, I think. Out culture is not really paying attention
at the moment, the momentum is too strong in the competence direction, I
think.

Telmo.