From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of John Clark
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2015 7:57 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Why is there something rather than nothing? From quantum theory to
dialectics?

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015  'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List
<everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> The very simple operation of defining the square root of two generates an --
> (as far as we know infinitely extending) – number stream that is
> characterized by a high degree of randomness.

That would only be pseudorandom.

Agreed and said as much by phrasing in terms of having a high degree of
randomness (perhaps I should have been specific and said pseudorandom)

Algorithms are deterministic, and random means a event without a cause. There
exists a short algorithm that can produce the decimal value of digits the
square root of 2 to any desired degree of precision so it can't be random.  PI
also has such a algorithm, and so does e and so does any real number you can
name, so none of them can be random.

However Turing proved in 1936 that the vast majority of  numbers on the real
number line have no name and no algorithm can produce them, or rather the only
"algorithm" to produce a true random number would  be just as long as the as
the number itself; for example the only "algorithm" that could produce a
sequence of truly random digits would just be a list of those digits. That's
why no program can compress random white noise. To produce true randomness
you'd need a physical random number generator, something involving radioactive
decay or photons of light hitting a polarizing filter would do the trick.

As with so many other things it is a matter of degree. There are a plethora of
pseudorandom number generators out there and they are compared to each other
based on the “randomness” of their sampled output. A good generator (when also
well seeded) does a fairly good (though of course not perfect) job. But I agree
it is devilishly hard to produce a truly random stream and a lot of brain power
has gone into trying to do so, because of the strategic importance of doing so.

Turing also proved that while the computable numbers are denumerable, that is
countably infinite,  the non-computable (random) numbers belong to the next
higher class of infinity.So if you had a dart with a infinitely sharp point and
threw it at the real number line there is a 100% chance it will hit a
non-computable number and a 0% chance it will hit a computable number.

Agreed, but also true that it is possible to define useful sub classes amongst
the larger set of all non-computable numbers, according to how compressible the
output stream is. Ten divided by three results in a non-computable number that
is however quite amenable to compression algorithms that could represent any
given chunk of the infinite stream using far less bits than the represented
numeric stream itself… a series of 3333333333333333333333333333333333333333 is
easy to compress. The highly random output stream – take any local section of
the stream – of square root of two is instead very difficult to compress, e.g.
the “compressed” encoding of a given chunk (KB, MB, GB etc.) of its output
would probably not take any less storage resources than the raw data.

By the way I think Alan Turing was one of the giants of 20th century science,
the current movie "The Imitation Game" is about his non-scientific but very
important work breaking the German Enigma Code during the second world war. I
loved the movie.

So do I… and the British persecuted him to death in gratitude, after he
possibly saved them in the war by breaking Enigma. But at least they protected
Christian values and also finally posthumously awarded him a medal (2013)

> Now say you are an observer from a parallel universe who somehow gets akind
> of sample set through some absurd imaginary portal that deluges the poor
> fellow with reams upon reams of seemingly random data

By "seemingly random" I assume you mean it came from a algorithm.

Yes, it is not truly random, but the chunks have been randomly scrambled in the
transmission (assume it for the sake of argument)… now I am not sure, perhaps
square root of two will leave subtle patterns in the apparently random series
that a clever algorithm could pull out. This possibility increases as the chunk
size increases, and conversely it becomes less likely if the order scrambled
transmitted data packets are smaller size – a KB versus a TB --

> each one of them, let’s give it a data dimension say a KB, MB, GB doesn’t
> matter, but constrained to a given chunk or window size. These
> inter-dimensional data packets unfortunately arrive to our observer in a
> scrambled order

How is the data stream scrambled, by another algorithm or a physical random
process such as radioactivity decay?

Assume by some physical random process – assume for the sake of discussion that
the ordering of the packets has been truly scrambled.

Also need to assume that the key first packet containing the portion of the
number to the left of the ‘dot’ is explicitly excluded from the transmission.
Only packets of numbers are transmitted; no other symbols.

>The data deluge arrives for eternity… but will the recipient ever be able to
>derive the function from the data.

In other words will the recipient ever be able to predict what the next digit
will be?

I was thinking more of the strong challenge of reassembling the packets into
their correct order;  by working back to a proof of the function that generated
the output stream, given only the (truly) out of order packets, each containing
only numbers (no special key packet allowed, would defeat the discussion).
Personally I think their situation would be hopeless in that scenario; they
could never work their way back no matter how many resources they threw at the
problem.

In any case it was just a thought experiment to illustrate how apparently
highly random (or pseudo-random of a superb quality) data could be the result
of a having only a partial and perhaps also scrambled view of an infinite
unbounded set that is the result output of a very simple initial function
running in an infinite recursion. I am arguing the point of view that
perspective is a critical factor; and that the complexity of a system can
become radically different if another perspective can be assumed by the
observer. The observer is inextricably bound to the perspective intrinsic in
their point of view.

I do support however the notion that there is a kind of abstract escape hatch
that enables us to take on points of view – in an abstract sense – that would
be impossible for us to have in our actual universally constrained selves. We
can abstractly imagine ourselves as being outside the universe viewing all that
is from a bird’s eye view (it gets very much harder however to imagine oneself
as being outside the multiverse…. I cannot imagine that state myself, and I
imagine that anyone claiming they can is imagining things. Or maybe it is just
my lack of imagination.

-Chris

If you had a large enough sample and true randomness was not used then you
could at least in theory predict what the next digit will be ( assuming you
don't run up against the limit on the number of computations the universe says
can be performed in it),  but if true physical randomness was involved at any
point then it would be hopeless.

  John K Clark