From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2015 9:52 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Why is there something rather than nothing? From quantum theory to
dialectics?

Roger: It's possible that what we see as existing is a simulation in some other
computer.   But, even if we are a simulation, the simulation that is us exists
as does the computer and the code we're a simulation in.  My thinking is aimed
at trying to figure out there are existent entities, whether we call them
simulations, singular arithmetic computations/propositions, or whatever,
instead of there not being existent entities.

Existence and non-existence can be viewed as different perspectives on
nothing…. existence and non-existence are emergent and understood in dialectic
opposition to each other… they arise out of each other, and are defined in
terms of each other.

-Chris

Chris,

    I totally agree and that's what I've been trying to get at in my thinking
and at the website.   Well put!

Well… it does seem we agree about nothing J

Have been pondering something I read a while ago when I began reading Russell’s
book (online first and now in the much better form of a real book)

It is this bit of information about information. A very simple mathematical
operation that can be described – defined by a simple recursive program
produces an unending stream of numbers defining it to an ever more precise
numeric precision… to infinity. Some such numbers say 10/3 are highly ordered
and repetitive though never ending.

The example Russell gave is an unending numeric stream that is however
different from – say 10/3 --  in that the resulting stream of numbers that it
outputs is highly chaotic and unordered very much resembling the number streams
generated by the best random algorithms.

The very simple operation of defining the square root of two generates an --
(as far as we know infinitely extending) – number stream that is characterized
by a high degree of randomness.

Now say you are an observer from a parallel universe who somehow gets a kind of
sample set through some absurd imaginary portal that deluges the poor fellow
with reams upon reams of seemingly random data – each one of them, let’s give
it a data dimension say a KB, MB, GB doesn’t matter, but constrained to a given
chunk or window size. These inter-dimensional data packets unfortunately arrive
to our observer in a scrambled order…. The data deluge arrives for eternity…
but will the recipient ever be able to derive the function from the data. I
doubt a highly random data stream – generated by a very simple operation –
could be re-ordered.

What could those observers deduce from this endless series of out of order
packets containing numeric data of a given range of degrees of precision in the
infinite stream resulting from the eternal recursive refinement of this
operation?

Would they ever be able to work back to the function from this out of order
quantized series of numeric data packets picked from random slots in the
infinite series?

It seems highly improbable to me, maybe there is some subtle ordering in the
output stream that could eventually become apparent after enough data chunks
were cross compared. Who knows, I am no expert on the randomness of the output
of the square root of two, but in general sense there are functions f() that
can be defined by a simple set of recursive or looping actions… e.g. a simple
program... that can generate an infinite and – for the sake of argument –
perfectly random numeric output stream (doesn’t matter if it is in base ten or
base two, or any other base) – e.g. a simple program like the one that
recursively continues to define ever increasing degrees of precision for the
square root of two, but that is abstract and ideal in that its output is taken
to be perfectly random – one terabyte of data in the stream looking pretty much
like any other similar sized chunk from the stream.

I pity those observers, and feel that no matter how many resources they brought
to bear in trying to discover the meaning of this mysterious numeric
communication coming through their inter-dimensional portal… that they would
never be able to figure the actual simple formula / program that produced the
petabytes ^ petabytes ^ petabytes ^ petabytes (ad infinitum) of data in their
transmission. Maybe some would build a religion around the mystery… who knows,
more likely the portal would become abandoned after the last researcher was
driven insane trying to discover the meaning.

The point of this long rambling dive into random data streams is to illustrate
how difficult or impossible it is to derive the original function from the data
output by it, and how the output of even a very simple program can be an
infinite series that would take infinite storage capacity to contain.

Another way of putting it is that an apparently infinitely huge container {in a
meta sense} would be required in order to contain the complete set of the
output resulting from a simple function, and that this is true no matter what
compression algorithms one tried to apply to the output stream {e.g. the output
is highly – or in the ideal perfectly -- random}

>From a simple program an endless stream of data and increasing complexity, in
>fact ultimately infinite complexity in the sense of not being susceptible to
>any form of compression.

Naturally if by some incredibly stroke of luck our observers discovered packet
number one of the transmission – e.g. 1.414213562373095 – they would have hit
the cosmic lottery jackpot and could potentially put it all together and deduce
the meaning of the rest of the stream (assuming they had figured out the
encoding of the numeric stream and were able to logically map the meaning of
the ‘.’ Symbol)

In the end this rather a lot about nothing, perhaps there is a point hiding in
there somewhere… a point about the amazing emergent complexity of nothing in
fact J

-Chris

Roger

 https://sites.google.com/site/whydoesanythingexist/
<https://sites.google.com/site/whydoesanythingexist/>

and a more detailed explanation along with more philosophical stuff and a
beginning model is at:

 https://sites.google.com/site/ralphthewebsite/

(click on 3rd link down)

    While we are working on different models, it's been a great discussion.
Thanks.