> But, what is outside the head is a circle, with a circumference and a
>> diameter.
>>

>> This is ambiguous.Are you talkng about the "platonic perfect circle"? Or
>> about a circle physically realized, like with a pen and a compass?
>>

> Roger: A physically realized circle.
>

> I doubt this exist. And with computationalism, I doubt this makes sense.

Roger: Draw a circle on a chalkboard, and it exists outside the head.  The
concept of a perfect circle exists inside the mind/head.

-----------------------

> I don't know any one not believing in the arithmetical reality, even
> philosophers (which sometimes claims that they does not admit them, but
> eventually betray themselves.
>
> Not everybody agrees that it is enough for explaining consciousness and
> the physical reality, but most everyday concept (like forever, while,
> again, anniversary, death, everyday, ...) assumes the intuition needed for
> agreeing on the elementary arithmetical axioms.

Roger: To think that almost everyone believes in an arithmetical reality is
to ignore parts of philosophy like physicalism, nominalism, etc.  From the
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy's entry on "Platonism in Metaphysics"
(http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/platonism/)

  "...Of course, platonism about any of these kinds of objects is
controversial. Many philosophers do not believe in abstract objects at
all..."

    While many on this list seem to believe in it, not even everyone here
seems to buy into it.  It's one idea among many.  As I've said many times,
let's all work our models and see what progress we can make.

-----------------------

> Roger: As above, a physically realized circle.
>

> I really doubt you could realize a circle in nature. Only an
> approximation, and then I am not sure if nature is not in the head of the
> Turing machines and relative numbers.
>
> So you take as axioms that there is a primary physical universe. I do not.
> To better tackle the mind-body problem, it is better to be agnostic on
> this, and open to the idea that such a primary physical universe might not
> exist.

Roger: I can accept any idea including arithmetical reality as long as
there's more logic and evidence for it than for other ideas.  That's what I
call being an agnostic.   I haven't seen or read anything here or elsewhere
that has convinced me of arithmetical reality as opposed to other ideas.
 Mostly, I see unfounded assertions, claims and assumptions.   Many might
say that about my arguments, too, I admit.

    Overall, what I take is that whatever exists, whether it's called
mental, abstract, physical, inside the mind, outside the mind, etc., it
still exists.  "Mental", "arithmetical reality", "abstract", "physical",
etc. are all just labels for existent entities.  I live in a universe made
of existent entities, whatever they're called.  My goal in my thinking is
to try and figure out why there are existent entities instead of no
existent entities (e.g. the "something" versus "nothing" question) and to
use that thinking to build a model of what the universe seems to look like
and to hopefully make testable predictions.  Of course, I'm a long way from
that but am working on it.  I've summarized my thinking at my website and
at this list.   Overall, you don't believe in a primary physical universe.
 That's great, and I'm happy for you.  I do.   As always, we'll all take
our thinking, work our models and see what progress can be made.    And,
good luck to everyone!