> Roger: Just because things can exist outside the mind/head doesn't mean
>> that a specific thing does occur outside the mind/head.  If the  pi
>> proposition and the 10^(10^(10^100))th decimal point of pi can be shown
>> outside the mind/head or any experimental evidence for the existence of the
>> pi proposition or the 10^(10^(10^100))th decimal point of pi existing
>> outside the mind/head, I'd be happy to accept it.  I can see that a circle
>> can exist outside the head, but I don't see anywhere outside the mind/head,
>> the proposition that if you divide the circle's circumference by its
>> diameter you get pi.
>>

>> But that proposition is not in the head of anybody. A body can get a
>> representation of that proposition in some language (be it LISP or neural
>> nets, or numbers): that is usually called a sentence, and *that* is in the
>> head of the machine or the number. The proposition itself is what is
>> intended by the sentence and the universal machine in presence. That pi is
>> what you find by dividing the circle's circumference by the diameter is
>> (true by definition), and that the sum of the inverse of all squared
>> natural number is true, by a proposition proved by Euler.
>>
>> That is true. period. It was true before Euler proved it, and after,
>> although this is only a metaphor. The number are just not concept to which
>> time or space attribute can apply.
>>
>> There is no number, nor proposition, in a brain. You might find
>> representations of number, and of propositions in the brain, but it makes
>> no sense to say that a number is in a brain, or on the planet mars.
>>
>> Then a brain itself can be described as the representation of a universal
>> numbers with respect to some other universal numbers.
>>
>> If you accept Church-Turing thesis, all computations exists in the
>> elementary arithmetical reality, and in a very special redundant way, and
>> we are there, and we must explain why the white rabbits are so rare and why
>> the rabbit hole is so deep. The quantum almost solves that problem, but to
>> solve the mind-body problem, we must justify why only the quantum works.
>>
>> Bruno
>>

> Roger: I understand that the sentence, the words and the thought "divide a
> circle's circumference by its diameter to get pi" are in the mind/head.
>

> Yes. even in the mind/head of all universal machine, in the sense of
> Turing-Church, which can be defined in arithmetic.
>
> But, what is outside the head is a circle, with a circumference and a
> diameter.
>

> This is ambiguous.Are you talkng about the "platonic perfect circle"? Or
> about a circle physically realized, like with a pen and a compass?

Roger: A physically realized circle.

 There is no process outside  the mind/head saying that if you divide the
circumference by the diameter, the number 3.14... results.

> Yes there is. For each choice of a universal numbers in N, you will have
> an infinity of numbers which describes that process, like all programs
> simulating Archimedes algorithm to compute Pi. Those programs and their
> executions are entirely well defined in arithmetic. Some quite indirectly,
> like the programs simulating the milky way, in string theory, just before
> Archimedes discovered his algorithm.
>

>  That process and the idea of even doing it are inside the mind/head.
>

> But with computationalism everything is inside the mind/ead of the
> universal numbers, even the idea that there is something outside the
> mind/head of the universal machine.

Roger: If you believe in computationalism and arithmetical reality.

>  It will give 3.14 for all physical circles and their circumferences and
> diameters outside the head, but the only thing outside the head is the
> circle.
>

> The platonic circle? Perhaps.

Roger: As above, a physically realized circle.

>  The process and the idea are inside the mind/head.
>

> There are also in arithmetic, and in the mind/head of all universal
> numbers, although they can focus on something else.
>

>   The "what you find by dividing..." in your sentence also kind of implies
> that an action needs to be taken by the observer.
>

> OK, but the observer is defined by a relative number, or a couple of
> universal numbers. We never go outside a tiny fragment of arithmetic,
> except for the reasoning on the measure on the computational histories,
> where analytical tools are not forbidden at the metalevel.
>
> Keep in mind that I do not assume a physical universe, if only because I
> want a non circular explanation of matter and of the physical.
>
> Everett use computationalism to justify the absence of collapse, but this
> works only if we can derive the SWE from the measure on *all* computational
> "dreams" in arithmetic.
>
> Bruno

Roger: It just seems like we're starting out with different assumptions
(arithmetical reality/computationalism versus physically existent
entities), and I don't think we can resolve that one.  But, that's okay. As
I mentioned before, we'll all keep working our models and try and make some
progress.