On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If people have some unknown psychic powers, prayers might do some good
> even without a God (unlikely, I imagine, but who knows?).

Who knows? We know, and we know because if prayer could effect our world
the way the religious say it does it could certainty be detected by the
scientific method. There has been an extensive study of the power of prayer
that lasted for 10 years and involved more than 1800 people. Nearly all
scientists thought such a study was a waste of money but it was payed for
by the Templeton Foundation which loves religious crap and does everything
it can to promote it. The results were reported in 2006 but they were not
what the Templeton Foundation had hoped for. From the March 31 2006 New
York Times:

"Prayers offered by strangers had no effect on the recovery of people who
were undergoing heart surgery, a large and long-awaited study has found.

And patients who knew they were being prayed for had a higher rate of
post-operative complications like abnormal heart rhythms, perhaps because
of the expectations the prayers created, the researchers suggested.

Because it is the most scientifically rigorous investigation of whether
prayer can heal illness, the study, begun almost a decade ago and involving
more than 1,800 patients, has for for years been the subject of
speculation."

  John K Clark