On 02 Jul 2015, at 22:40, John Clark wrote:

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015  Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>> Does "you" mean John Clark who is currently experiencing Helsinki, or does "you" mean John Clark who remembers experiencing Helsinki?

> We have agreed that they are the same person.
NO, we most certainly have NOT agreed they are the same person! They are both John Clark

That is what we agree on.

but they do not refer to the same thing. If the personal pronoun "you" has the meaning commonly used in everyday life then "you" means the guys who remember being John Clark in Helsinki, and then "you" does indeed survive and obviously "you" will see Moscow AND "you" will see Washington;

In the 3-1 view. For the million times: yes that is correct, but is not an answer to the question asked. It is used to get the answer. Indeed if you agree that in the 3-1 view we have that "you" will see Moscow AND "you" will see Washington, then knowing that you will not see both at once, you can easily predict "W or M" for both the 1- views of the copies. Indeed, bot will write respecively "I see only one city M (resp. W).

but if "you" means John Clark who is *currently* experiencing Helsinki then "you" will not survive and "you" will NOT see Washington and "you" will NOT see Moscow.

No, we have a billion times agree that John Clark is the guy remembering that he is John Clark, of that he is the guy pushing the button in Helsinki, and surviving in both city (in the 3-1-view).

I'm surprised I have to explain all this, I thought logicians were supposed to be good at this sort of thing.

But we have understood since day zero. But you evade the answer, which is about THE unique city that the guy in Helsinki will see after pushing the button. It can only be either W, or M, and never both at once.

>>> you are the guy, and will remain the guy, with that memory of your time in Helsinki. So no ambiguity.

>> OK good that is not ambiguous and is clear as a bell, "you" are the guys who remember being John Clark the Helsinki Man, and so "you" will indeed survive.

> Good.

So given that definition of the personal pronoun that we both agree on, a logician would have to agree that "you" will see Moscow AND Washington.

In the 3-1 view, but that is not the answer to the question asked. It is a step toward the answer as I explain above.

"You" will open two doors only from the perspective of an outsider. That is not the first person perspective of John Clark,

AHHHH! Bruno Marchal just said "you" means "the guy with that memory of your time in Helsinki" but now Bruno Marchal is changing the meaning of "you" to something else yet again, and nobody knows what that new meaning is, including Bruno Marchal.

I did not. I was just kindly attempting to make sense of what you said and get the contradiction from it.

>>> 3) opening the door of a reconstitution box and see two cities at once?

>> 100%

> Then none of JCW nor JCM needs any means (phone, mobile) to communicate, and you are pertending that duplicate brain get telepathic power, where comp + the protocole makes this false.

I'll be damned if I can see what telepathic power has to do with any of this. And the above beautifully illustrates why I keep saying that whatever the hell "comp" means it certainly doesn't mean computationalism.

So you agree that they have no mean to even know if their doppelganger has been reconstituted, which illustrate again that the prediction on the unique future 1-you is "W OR M", and not "W and M".

>>> Note that by definition of first person experience, "seeing two cities at once" means literally being a person [blah blah]

>> STOP RIGHT THERE! If as Bruno Marchal just said "you" means the guys who remember being John Clark the Helsinki Man then after the duplication there is not "a person" who fits that description, there are "persons" who fit that description .

> Exactly, so we have to look at both 1-diaries, and both contains "I see only one door and one city behind"

OK we need to do some heavy duty mathematics here. If "you" saw Moscow (and the guy who remembers being the Helsinki Man did see Moscow) and if "you" saw Washington (and the guy who remembers being the Helsinki Man did see Washington), then how many cities did "you" see?

One. because I have been duplicated, so, although "(I see W) & (I see M)" can make sense in the 3-1 view, in the 1-view, I can only see one city *subjectively"

(I write M in the diary and I write W in the diary) does not entail "I write W and M in the unique diary".

I think the answer is 2 because I'm pretty sure that 1+1=2, but difficult calculations should always be independently checked, so get out your calculator and see if that's what you get.

2 for the 3-1 view, and 1 for the 1-view I can hope for when betting on computationalism.

I think that you error can be summed up by the fact that you derive "I will write both M and W in the unique diary " which is false, from the 3-1 correct "I write M in the diary and I write W in the diary".

Just interview all copies, and it becomes obvious.

Bruno

  John K Clark